<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 06, 2005

at 10

When I was 10, I would have been in Grade 4. I went to school Monday to Friday, and was forced to take Chinese lessons every Saturday. During the week I practiced piano and had piano lessons Sunday. That year my parents took my brother and I to Hawaii and Hong Kong.

In Cuzco we have encountered 10 year olds, in fact kids from age 5-12, running up to every tourist they see and offering to either shine their shoes, or to sell postcards or finger puppets. Some of them do not appear to go to school. They have learned to pull the saddest face possible to make you, the tourist, feel badly for them. The services they offer will help supplement their familys income. The likelihood they will travel beyond anywhere in South America in slim to none.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?